You will find a list of projects and events, along with people to contact.This is an exciting time in the life of our church. You welcomed your new pastor in September – and what a wonderfully warm welcome it has been. This year – 2009 - we’ll be celebrating our 125th year as a congregation and our sanctuary turns 100. In addition, we’ve begun working with a group called Partners for Sacred Places which is helping us prepare for a capital campaign so we may take better care of our beautiful (but aging ) buildings. I am writing to bring you up to date on the planning, and to let you know how to become involved. We welcome your ideas and hope that everyone will feel included and informed as we enter into this joyous and busy time.
At the turn of the new year the Session realized that our 125th year was upon us, and gladly accepted the offer of Don and Marcia White to spearhead the anniversary celebrations (the planning might have begun earlier, but you were busy finding and welcoming me!) Don and Marcia soon called two after church meetings where members were invited to share ideas for a theme and brainstorm possible activities. By the first Saturday in March we had a theme - Summit Church: 125 Years of Proclaiming God’s Love for All - and had chosen events and projects on which to focus. Our celebration weekend will be October 16-17-18 but events are being planned for before and after, including a choir festival on Sunday, November 15. Below you will find a list of projects and events, along with people to contact. For information on the overall celebration, you may speak to Don or Marcia White at (215) 424-7955.
· Telling our Story, Learning our History. If you would like to look through dusty but fascinating records and files, help create a timeline, or interview the long-time members of our congregation (among other activities) please speak to Lois Gaskins at (215) 836-2142 or email her at email@example.com.
· Summit on the Outside. This committee is looking at ways to celebrate and recognize the Summit that is seen by our neighbors, with activities such as rededicating the peace pole, commemorating the original sanctuary door on Westview, or developing a meditation walk. Speak with Anne Glass (215) 247-9475 to learn more.
· Service, Youth and the Arts. All the committees are thinking of ways to include children and youth, but Sue Badeau is gathering people who would be interested in activities especially for youth/families and in planning service or art project(s) leading up to the anniversary weekend. Contact Sue at (215) 844-6641 or firstname.lastname@example.org
· Celebratory Banquet on October 17th. Hector Badeau, experienced event planner, is heading up the team to make this a special event with good food, music, and fun for Summit and our neighbors in the community. (267)251-6740, or email@example.com .
· Thanksgiving Worship Service on October 18th. We are planning to make this Sunday morning worship service especially joyous. Contact the pastor at (215) 438-2825 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to be involved.
· Festival of Choirs. Gayl Koster and Mary Moorhouse are heading the committee to plan this capstone community event on November 15th. Call Mary at (215) 242-2635 to join in.
· Publicity for everything. Kristina Paulk is heading up our newly formed publicity committee (please check our updated and uplifted website, www.summitpres.net). Contact Kristina at (267) 309-4283 or email@example.com if you’d like to help.